6.30.2009

old time religion revisited, then head west young (wo)man

Ah! Days at the cabin always pass much faster than anticipated. After a couple of lovely days of rest and repose, tasty food, and family time, LJ and I headed back to meet up with Daddy-o in Murrysville for biscuits (if you're ever in the area, Reid's Cafe is stellar), then LJ rode with Dad and I followed behind as we caravaned down to Whiteoak via Thomson. I hadn't realized how long it had been since I'd been down there, but it didn't really surprise me how little had changed. The gray sand, the squeaky snap of the screened door, the sweet air conditioned air juxtaposed with the liquid heat of the outdoors. Familiarity, even that which you are uncomfortable with, can be comforting.

We arrived earlier than Mee-mee had anticipated and had tomato sandwiches and fixin's for lunch. It was like I hand't really experienced summer in 12 years. South Georgia tomatoes are edible summer, sweet crimsion sunshine. Then we lazed about on the porch and caught up in that way that is mostly talking about the past. I played them a couple of songs on my uke.

Then Mee-mee sent Grand Dad into town to retrieve something or other from the house and shooed us out with instructions to look at the pictures she had on the stereo. Being at their house was even more surreal even though I was there as recently as Christmas of '07. The pictures she referred to were an arrangement of pictures from LJ's wedding next to pictures from Dad and Nada's wedding, next to pictures from their 50th anniversary party, next to a perplexingly placed (and oddly large) senior picture of Nada's son Keith. I made a comment under my breath about having worth when I get married someday... Then there was dealing with the whole seeing pictures around the house, one of which originally included mom, now edited out. And pictures of Dad and Nada filling in the empty places. Intellectually, I understand that, but seeing it manifest does something altogether different for the empty places inside me.

I digress.

Being in Mee-mee and Grand Dad's reality takes some mental fortitude and adjusting, and once I'd gotten over my little internal hissy fit we had just about the best visit we'd ever had. We got back to the campground in time for the most amazing of southern feasts. White acre peas, squash casserole, tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, cantelope, angel biscuits, three types of meat, and four types of cake. I stuck to the vegetables and was in heaven.

After the meal, we got cleaned up and headed over to the Tabernacle for the evening service. It smelled exactly the same. Somewhere between the old musty Spiritual Life song books, sweat, and prayer. It was so easy to feel right at home fanning myself with an old funeral parlor fan, singing old hyms (Rock of Ages was the closest we got to any of my favorites), and listening to the harmonizing of the cicadias. Somehow though divine providence I picked up the one Spiritual Life Songbook that had been given by my grandparents in memory of our family. I opened up the cover to see pasted in old 80s font the names of my great-grandparents, grandparents, aunt and uncle, my parents, and my sister and I. It was almost enough to make me say "Amen" or at least "oh my stars." The sermon was old-school Methodist about being empowered by Christ, and taking care of your community, "what are your excuses when called by God? The one-and-only-may-his-name-be-priased." Afterward we shared a brief reunion with a few of our cronies from growing up at Whiteoak. All married. All with at least a couple of kids. All excited to see us, but still looking at us with that look of foreign awe that we got from being city kids in our youth, and I guess that we get for being city people still.

When we got back to the trailer, Dad headed back to Gwinett, and the four of us had dessert while Laura Jean quizzed our grandparents about their courship and life together. It was fun and easy and natural and good. I enjoyed listening. Just being hot and sleepy. Eating ridiculously sweet cake, and hearing the smiles in my grandparent's voices as they recounted their lives. We turned in a little after 10, and the same energy continued the next morning over another amazing meal. Real grits, (grits like no one but Mee-mee can make), more biscuits, eggs, fruit, sausage, coffee, and juice. We visited for about an hour and a half transitioning from what has happened to what is happening. Laura let them know a bit about her book, I talked a bit about puppeting.

And then we were off! With hugs and waves and you-be-safe-nows. Laura Jean securely behind the helm taking on the second of the two longest drives of the trip. I was more than happy to play navigator and co-pilot as I still have much driving to go. We did the insane thing and drove all the way to Austin because we are young and stupid. Yep, over 15 hours rocking out to Michael Jackson (may he rest in peace), and without a single fight or as much as a tift. We realized that LJ being an introvert and me being an extrovert are pretty much at the base of all of our issues. And those are things that aren't going to change. So as long as we can respect that, and realize that we're not intentionally hurting each other just expressing ourselves differently, we're good. 15-hours-in-a-car-together-good.

Friday we were up and had family lunch(with just about everybody minus Leslie and the working McElroys) at Matt's before crashing pretty severly. That night we just hung out at Kathy's, working on last minute touches to gifts for the grandparents. Jake wanted to go out, but as I am homebody of all home bodies, nearing broke, and tired as hell, I suggested we just get some beer and hang out by the pool, so that is exactly what Jacob, LJ + Dave, and I did and it was pretty freaking sweet.

The next morning after several glasses of water and a big cup of coffee, I was a human being again and the day of celebrating GJ squared times 60(Grand Joyce and Grand Jack's 60th wedding anniversary) began with a start. Kathy organized us all to serenede them with a rousing rendition of "String of Pearls" (their song) on kuzoo. It was quite delightful and we were all in stitches. Then it was off to Moonshine for a delicious celebratory lunch (I did a toast), and then back to Kathy's for gifts and cake. Mom organized a family quilt (we each made a 1" square), the McElroy ladies tiled a garden bench with their handprints, David and Lynne gave them fancy edibles, but the icing on the cake was LJ and Dave's. LJ collected stories and photos from each family member, edited them and Dave designed, and made (by hand) a beautiful book entitled "60 Years of Adventures in the Hollingsworth Family." They spent collectively over 130 hours working on it, and even made copies for all the children.

Daddy Jack cried. Everyone cried. Then, punctuated only by the eating of cake, and taking of some family pictures, we read. We read every last story in the book. They said it was the best day of their lives, and I was humbled and delighted to be here for it. I have learned so much from them and their marriage. Sometime later, I may even post what I wrote for the book, but that's another entry entirely...

So we've been hanging out in Austin. Eating well, of course as we are wont to do. I've been spending lots of quality time with Auntie Kathy and the dogs and am determined to move here before Laura Jean and Dave so that I won't be following them here. (They're off Atlanta and on Austin in a major sort of way). I'll be here for the weekend before heading back to Atlanta via NOLA.

Then, about a week split between the cabin and Athens, and a week in Atlanta for the puppet conference and a few reunions then I'm back to Pdx to try and make some sense of this crazy summer.

I am so thankful to have been blessed with such enlivening, loving, supportive, and expressive family and friends. Taking this trip has been good for my soul in so many ways, but nothing has blessed me more than simply spending time with people who mean so much to me!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

We had a lot of fun this weekend with everyone! It was a great party!

Danny and I are "on" Austin in a major sort of way too...maybe we'll all end up in the same city for the first time in our lives!

Aunt Kathy said...

That is my goal!!