6.01.2009

good morning idaho falls!

So, after an anxious night's sleep, eeeearly breakfast with my Quaker girls on my sunny front porch, and good byes too my roomies, I got on the road around 9:15 yesterday morning. It was a beautiful day in Portland and I listened to the Avett Brothers as I drove out 84. I was planning on staying with a friend's parents in Caldwell, but to my surprise, arrived there around 4:30 and wanted to keep on down the road. I got to Mountain Home, consulted my atlas (EXCELLENT last minute purchase from Powell's) and decided to head on hwy 20. Turns out, there's not a whole lot between Mountain Home, ID and Idaho Falls, ID other than big stretches of pretty nothingness. And a trippy place called Craters of the Moon that, yep the name is rather descriptive, looks like the surface of the moon. So I drove on to Idaho Falls, putting me about a day ahead of schedule as I'm now only around 2 hours from Yellowstone. I've decided to head north on 20 and enter Yellowstone from the north west entrance and then spend the day driving south to Jackson. Then tomorrow, I'll have a whole day to go back and explore more or head on to Boulder if I want. I've spent the morning trying to arrange last minute couch surfs in Boulder and Omaha. Then Friday, I'm looking forward to some familiar faces; lunch with college buddy Carly in Iowa City and a couple of days with my hs drama teacher and his wife in Normal, Illinois. Scout is a fantastic traveling companion as always and I'm already enjoying the delightful changes in scenery of this beautiful country. Yesterday the Gorge melted into desert of eastern Oregon, and then the flat plains surrounded by lovely mountains of Idaho. Lots of beautiful farmland, blue sky, and mountains, mountains, mountains. Yay for excellent beginnings! 

(*and to all who are worried, I'm safe and sound and the car is running great... if that wasn't immediately obvious from above post. quit yer frettin')

No comments: