6.12.2009

All things go

A sunny day in Chicago is hard to say goodbye to. Joe and I have had a wonderful week here. Here are the highlights:

Joe's flight was quite delayed, but he finally got here around noon on Tuesday and we did lunch at the tasty vege-tastic Chicago Diner. He had to finish up final for his online econ final, so he met up with one of his bestest friends from Loyola, Brent and they went off to a coffee shop to work. We met up later and they showed me Loyola. It is such a beautiful campus. I loved the art deco architecture, and I wish I had had my camera with me. Oh well. Then we had some crazy good Indian food on Devan and then went to a hip hop show at the Abbey Pub. Meg and Moses joined us for the show but left before the headliner, Mr. Lif took the stage because they were spent. It was a really fun show, but my favorite was just watching Joe. I have never seen him that happy-- ever, which of course made me really happy.

Wednesday we got a bit of a late start, but had some amazing Ethopian  (yeah, we mainly ate... a lot here), and then he checked out a couple of Green non-profits he'd looked up and spent some time in Pilsen, his favorite neighborhood in the city (artsy leftist latinos). Then Meg and I cooked up a Southern storm for a birthday dinner for her. Fresh creamed corn, collards, cheddar biscuits, and black beans and rice. It was a feast! 

Then yesterday we hit up the infamous Soul Veg on the southside, and after all of Joe's testimonies, it really did change my life. Unfortunately, I got stuck in the WORST traffic on my way back up to the Northside (it took me 2 hours! blah). So, I just hung out at Meg's and did some stuff like book Scout's flight home. Then I took the El into the city, and met Joe and Brent for a live outdoor taping of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me in Millennium Park. I've enjoyed my time in Chicago, but I didn't really get it until I took the Brown line into downtown. It was so beautiful and vibrant. The radio show was super fun, and afterwards we went out for some deep-dish and then they showed me Wicker Park and Ukrainian Village before we crashed hard. 

Today we're off to Pittsburgh (our half-way mark to Vermont), to stay with one of Joe's good friends from Miami. Yay!

2 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

I love Wait Wait!! Glad you are having fun. Lots of food awaits you, here, too:)

Mary, Mary quite contrary said...

Was it live? We listened to it on Saturday and when they talked about how chilly it was in the park I wondered if by an outside chance you would be there. Too cool!