11.01.2008

le sigh

Le sigh. I realized this week that I'm depressed. Not reaching-for-the-pills depressed, just down. Before I get too hard on myself as I am wont to do, I realize that this kind of makes sense. I had a crappy break up and being on the road makes it really hard to feel connected to a community in Portland. It makes it hard to feel connected to a life in Portland. And if I have learned anything in my 23 years of living, it's that feeling connected is the most important thing to me. Yes, I have friends here, and they are great! But having a real sense of community here would take years, and I'm trying to decide if that's a commitment I'm ready to make. 

I've been toying with the idea of moving to Asheville next summer. There's something to be said for moving 2,000 miles away and completely starting your life over again, just to know that you can. But I'm starting to realize that there's also something to be said for being physically close to the people you are emotionally close to. Yes, if I had moved to North Carolina immediately after graduation I would have felt like I was settling and always wonder. But I have done it. I know I can, and I think that may have been all I needed. Being here to help with LJ+Dave's wedding was priceless, and working with Tears of Joy and knowing that I could actually do this puppetry thing as a career, has also been an invaluable experience. I have so enjoyed exploring my spirituality at Quaker meeting and making the diverse friend group that I have but... The thing is there's always a but at the end of that sentence for me, and I'm trying to figure out what that's about. It's complicated, I suppose, as these things often are. 

So, I'm pushing through it. Trying really hard to figure things out. To think things through, but also get out of my head and listen to my heart. If you pray, I'd appreciate your prayers. If you don't, just send me some love. I'll take care of it and be sure to send some back soon. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love AND prayers from here....

It is hot here, but....The Texas School for the Deaf is in Austin........And we will work on your mom to come here, too, and then in a few years, Laura and Dave, and so on, and so on....

Ally said...

Sending you my prayers, I can just hear your sense of unsettledness and I understand how difficult that is.