11.27.2008

hey! my life is starting to rock again! score!

So, supremely awesome weekend. 

Dad and I had a really great visit. 

That bears repeating: I had a fantastic visit with my father

He got in on Friday, and came and picked me up from work so he could see our studio and workshop. Then we had dinner at the Tin Shed on Alberta (so yummy). Saturday morning he came over and I fixed him brunch (my first attempt at a frittata was an amazing success). Anna ate with us, and I was really glad she got to meet and spend time with him. I broke my phone last week, so he took me and bought me a new one for my birthday. Super awesome, as I wouldn't have been able to afford one otherwise. Then he updated the operating system on my computer, which ended up being somewhat of an adventure in back-up land. I didn't have enough space on my computer, which forced me to finally back-up my senior project from my ASL independent study (three ASL interviews with sub-titles), which I'd basically been meaning to do since I finished it. (i.e. 2 years) After that, we went downtown to see a photography exhibit on the Columbia river gorge (1860-1950). Really cool. And then made our way to the Portland City Grill (30th floor = super awesome view of this city I love) for a shi shi birthday dinner. The next morning he came to meeting with me and then too me out to my favorite Thai place. Aaaand, he bought me gas. (!)

Even a year ago, the idea of us having a really relaxed, comfortable, (as in not awkward or frustrating) visit full of real conversations and just plain good times seemed like an impossibility. But we did. I felt like he was actually my father again for the first time in a really long time. And that was the best birthday present he could have given me. Very, very thankful.

And as for all the well-wishers, thankyouverymuch! 

My 24th birthday kicked some major hiney. Anna and I cleaned house and then did a little last minute shopping (trader joe's for wine, new seasons for turkey day groceries, and fred meyer for balloons and streamers-- yep, I had balloons and streamers). Then we decorated and she fixed me an amazing birthday dinner. I had gotten a nicer bottle of wine for the two of us to start the evening, and I gotta say, when you're used to $3 wine, $10 wine feels faaan-cy. Before the party I got all fancy in one of my pretty dresses I never get to wear. Anna had just finished a knitting project that didn't turn out exactly how she had planned but made the perfect last minute accessory to my outfit. (pics to come) So then my friends came over and we had fun. I ate a lot of chocolate and drank a fair bit of wine (kudos to myself for switching to water before the party was over). We chatted in front of a fire, and danced up a storm. It was so great to have my awesome house full of some great people, many of whom I see on a regular basis, but many of whom I don't see often enough. 

And if the first couple of days are any indicator, my 24th year is gonna be superb. One for the books. 


2 comments:

L. J. Moore said...

You shiksa goddess you.

hannah banana said...

first of all, I had to look shiksa up on wikkipedia.

secondly, what?