5.13.2008

things I freaking love about portland; post 1

This is going to be the first in a series of posts about the myriad of things that I love about this fine city. 
On my mind today: mail in voting!

I voted on Saturday. Yup, that's right. Saturday, just after breakfast in my pajamas. How did I do this you might ask? Because Oregon is friggin awesome and realized that most people are more likely to vote if they have the option of doing it in their pajamas. You register, they send you a ballot, you mail it back. Ah, democracy is delicious.

Secondly, not only was I a comfortable voter, I was an informed voter. Before this election, all of my voting decisions have been based on my own research, (lackluster, I'll admit) and in the absence of researching a specific candidate, voting for the candidate with the best name (you've done it too). But! Oregonians might just be the most informed voters in the country, because instead of standing in a voting booth only able to recall brightly colored yard-signs, we get a packet, yup a detailed packet (about 30 pages), in which each candidate submits their own information, and each ballot measure is described in detail (as well as what a "yes" and "no" vote actually means and its financial impact). 

So, while May 20th is the actual primary for Oregon, many of its voters have already cast their ballot. And I am one of them. 

And in case you were wondering, (or it wasn't glaringly obvious) I voted for hope.

No comments: