8.03.2008

gearing up

Okay, since no one probably had the patience to read the last (epic) post, I'll sum it up here: Dave and Laura Jean got hitched and it was happy to the nth. All things went smoothly and delightfully, partying with friends and family was a highlight. Good. Now no one has to feel guilty.

I spent basically the entire week in bed recovering from Long/Moore Wedding Extravaganza 2k8 and gathering my strength for the intensity of the next stage of my summer, which is a two week PlayWrite workshop at St. Mary's Home for Boys. Since I only participated in the second half of the last workshop, I got some much needed last minute training this morning. It's also going to be a bit more intensive as we will only have two 4 day weeks of 3 hour workshops (including a performance) instead of two five day weeks of 4 hour workshops plus an entire day for performances. If that didn't make any sense, basically the total number of workshop hours is cut by roughly a third. Did I mention that St. Mary's is a level 5 facility, which means that all of the boys we will be working with have either killed or raped someone? And they're between the ages of 10 and 17. Yeah, this is going to be intense. I am excited though. I know they have stories. I am excited to listen to them. To show them that someone thinks their stories are worth hearing. 

Also, this weekend I got to host an old friend/acquaintance from Athens who was visiting before he started a domestic (study abroad-esque) program in the Pacific Northwest. We did the sky tram up to OHSU (so cool), Powell's, the waterfront, biked the springwater, went to a movie at the Laurelhurst, and hiked in Forest Park. All in all, it was lovely sharing my love of Portland with a friend, and I love getting an excuse to do tourist-y things in my own city. Also! we randomly ran across Sojourn doing a rehearsal for Ten Tiny Dances on the South Waterfront and I finally got to say hi to Michael in person! (we've been playing email tag off and on for months). I am continued to be amazed by the serendipity of running into people here and how small Portland can feel. 

No comments: