8.21.2008

alright, alright, I'll update already.

The PlayWrite workshop was a smashing success. I'm still learning how to be a good coach, but it is a life changing experience every time. It is amazing how kids who are systematically marginalized, can be such eager and expressive artists. Also, Avery got to come to the performance, which I was really excited about. 

A couple of weekends ago, I got to go camping with Avery and his tribe of folks he's grown up with (like his allofus on steroids). They've all gone camping in Steamboat (Oregon, not Colorado) for the past 25 years (read: before Avery was even in the picture). It was beautiful, very relaxing, and a good bit of fun. It was very special to be able to share in a place and with people that mean so much to him. 

I started Tears of Joy on Monday and am still having to pinch myself to believe that I'm actually getting paid to do this. We've been rehearsing and getting oriented which entails such hard work as hearing stories about the company sleuthing out stolen puppets and hotwired vans as well as playing theater games and making sure we know how to drive a cargo van. The only thing that feels like actual work at this point is that it is physically demanding. Our show is pretty traditional stick and rod puppetry. The puppets are pretty big (5-10 lbs a piece) and will have to be held over our heads the entire show. I'm starting my conditioning doing what I call puppet reps. I'll hold the puppets up for intervals of 1 minute at a time. Phew. It is HARD. But, if that's the only thing I have to complain about, my life is pretty good.

I threw Laura Jean and Dave a farewell dinner party at my house Tuesday night. It was  one of those days where nothing was really going right (I got out of work late, Avery had a minor bike accident), but with my roommate's help (Anna and Elsie were rock stars!) as well as some sous-chefing from Avery, I pulled it off without a hitch. In attendance were the illustrious LJ and Dave, Laura Jean's rommie Carole, Goose and Amy, and Don Miller even stopped in in time for dessert. All in all it was a lovely evening. 

1 comment:

Aunt Kathy said...

You will have very toned arms! Glad you are happy. Will call you soon.

xoxoxox