6.15.2008

old time religion

I was talking with a friend on Friday about singing and spirituality. One of the (only) things I don't like about Quaker meeting is that there's no organized singing. Sometimes someone will begin a song and others will join in, which is nice, but there's something deep and essential in me about some of the old hymns I grew up singing in drafty churches, sweaty tabernacles, and around camp fires and in the chapel at Glisson. Mom gave Laura Jean and I each a copy of 'Spiritual Life Songs' for Christmas (the old song book we used at camp meeting in Thompson growing up) when I shared a similar sentiment in late fall. I told her, "I don't know about the rest of it, but the songs still get me." 

I've been singing tonight. A capella. Open window with a glass of wine. 
The more I sang the more I longed for some of my favorites from the Methodist hymnal, which, thanks to the internet, I found. When I sang through the lyrics of the songs below, I felt a beautiful sense of connectedness with with my past and present. It is no mistake that my favorite hymns from childhood have both peace-centered and earth loving themes. 

So here they are. My favorite hymns of all time (and don't be ashamed to sing along out loud).

1 comment:

Angee said...

This is the first I have read of your Blog, how appropriate. As far away from my spiritual roots as I feel sometimes, the music is what (all) that brings me back every time. I have two CDs of songs recorded in the Chapel at Glisson that are amazing! I hope that things continue to go well in Portland. It is 92 and sunny in the mountains of East Tennessee, I have to say I'm a little jealous! Keep in touch!